POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor. : Re: POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor.
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 9 Aug 1998 06:38:44
Message: <35cd6e24.0@news.povray.org>
In article <35cbd23c.0@news.povray.org>, ran### [at] idcommcom says...

>    Well, it's true.  POV-Ray should support the new 3DNow technology in the
>new AMD K6-2 Processor.  Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could
>find docs on how to code for this new processor?  I'd really like to know
>how to write stuff for it.  Then perhaps I could even modify POV-Ray to
>support it.  If it can make Quake II run faster than the equivelant Pentium
>II, then I'm sure it can do wonders for POV-Ray.

Don't think so; OpenGL (or alikes...) and raytracing are very different
beasts.  As it have been extensively discussed before, 3D-accelerating
cards have absolutely no effect on Povray.

Now, maybe some parts of the K6-2's instruction set could speed up some
Povray operations ?  I don't know...  It's probably worth to try.
Anyway, CPU-specific compiles are always faster than "generalist" ones...

Fabien.